Just recorded the latest Azure Infrastructure update and below are the key updates. Note a weekly update is available via subscribe action on the right hand side of this side (hint click Subscribe) or at https://savilltech.com/azure-weekly-update-subscribe/.
Lets get to it.
PowerShell 7 was released.
- PowerShell 7 removes the “core” tag signaling its position as the new standard
- Cross-platform with Windows, Linux and MacOS support
- 85% compatibility with Windows PowerShell modules
- Overview video available at https://youtu.be/K9EUntTP7jM
- Available from https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell?view=powershell-7
New Azure AD App experience is available. It can be enabled for all users or specific groups of users.
Azure Security Center has two updates.
- Continuous export available
- Trigger alerts via Azure Monitor through Log Analytics export
- Can also send to 3rd party SIEM via event hub
- Just-in-time experience updates
- Justification field available during access request
- Cleanup of redundant rules that used to be left behind as part of NSGs
Azure Backup now has Backup Reports to provide tracking and auditing of backup and restore jobs.
Two new Virtual Machine skus.
- NDv2 GPU VMs GA
- High-end deep learning training and HPC
- 8 NVIDIA Tesla V100 NVLink interconnected GPUs
- NVv4 VMs GA
- GPU accelerated graphics applications and virtual desktops
- AMD Radeon Instinct MI25 GPU
- Various sizes with partial GPU support
VM Scale Sets (VMSS) has a number of new capabilities.
- Automatic repair based on application health via load balancer health probe of the application health VMSS extension
- Scale-in policy to control how scale-in is performed for example default (based on balancing first), newestVM or oldestVM
- Instance protection to protect specific instances during scale-in or other types of action
- Instance termination notifications through scheduled events along with configurable delay. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/scheduled-events
And finally Cosmos DB introduces a free tier that is available once per subscription giving 400 RU/s and 5GB of storage. Additionally dynamic scale is not available via autopilot which will make whatever RUs are needed in real-time available up to a defined limit. Autopilot can work with the free tier meaning you would only pay for RU/s over 400.
Well that’s it! Please subscribe to the YouTube channel and take care in these crazy times and see you soon!